Monday, November 24, 2008

My experience

When I first came to IUS I was so nervous because I have heard about how some English classes were hard. Even though I did very well in high school English I did not know what to expect. From our first paper I think that I have progressed, maybe not as much as I hoped but I did in many ways. I really thought that since I did not know anybody I could be myself, but that all changed once I got to know everybody. Ms. Brown to me makes everybody feel comfortable. She is not like some teachers when you have something to say you feel stupid for saying it. You can express yourself (Wayne) in anyway you want. I really have enjoyed our class discussions because everybody gets involved and nobody feels or should feel out of place. The class activities with writing work shops or just activities in general helped everybody get to know each other not just by communicating but also through each others writings. I really enjoyed meeting and getting to know everybody and their point of views even if I did not agree with some of them. My writings have gotten stronger when I got the opinions of not just Ms. Brown but also from my other classmates. I like this class because it is not just reading assignments it is more writing and it helped me grow as a more sophisticated writer. Each writing assignment helped me prepare for the next one we were getting ready to do. Each person in the class never criticized any ones writing they just helped make them better by suggesting things that would make the paper better and also them as a writer. From the beginning of the year to now I think that everybody has became more comfortable with each and their writings. I used to be afraid to let another student read my writing because I thought that they would make fun of me or something but everybody in the class helped me out in same way or another. I hope that the next class that comes in will grow just as much as I did or more.

1 comment:

Ms. Brown said...

Nice! So much of writing is about that sharing, which is difficult to do. But having a community of writers offering suggestions (like we have in this class) is almost more important than the final product.